Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Library, Turkeys and an Apple Tart

Today we explored the Mesa County library. It turns out they also have some great kids programs, so we are excited to get more involved. Alina got her first library card and checked out several books today! When I picked up a calendar for kids events, I noticed that the pre-school story time was going to start in about 20 minutes, so we picked out some books, played and then stayed for story time. It was a lot of fun. Alina even got to participate by putting up the letter T on the felt board. Today's theme was Thanksgiving. We did lots of songs and books about Thanksgiving and turkeys.
When we left they passed out the materials for everyone to make their own turkey puppet at home. Alina named her's Chuck. No idea where she got that, but I'm pretty sure that is what she said when I asked her what she wanted to call him. Chuck read The Berenstain Bears and the Giant Pumpkin to Alina.
They also gave out a bunch of stuffed animals. I'm pretty sure it was an attempt to clean out some storage, but the kids loved it. They had boxes full of stuffed animals and the kids were told to go pick one out to take home. Alina got a walrus, apparently his name is just Walrus. After making our craft and reading some stories, Alina insisted we make turkey cookies. I had bought a box of ready to make sugar cookies, so I thought why not? Turns out I even have turkey and pumpkin cookie cutters (sorry Pauline for making fun of all your cookie cutters, apparently I have a decent collection too.) It was a lot of fun. Well, except decorating cookies. I am terrible at this! I mean terrible! But we had fun anyway, even if we have some ugly cookies.


I would like to tell you that Alina iced and decorated all the cookies herself, but you would know better than that. She did do most of the decorating. Why is icing so hard to work with? Do not judge my staying at home/mothering skills based on my cookie decorating abilities.
And since I'm terrible at decorating cookies, I'll share one of my more successful baking attempts. I made this French Apple Tart on Sunday using this recipe from Ina Garten. It was delicious and it looks much better than my cookie decorating.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm that apple tart looks amazing! I will have to try that! Although it would be hard for me to eat it without ice cream. And iced sugar cookies are not meant to be perfect...as long as they taste good & Alina had fun helping decorate them I think the baking was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That apple tart looks amazing! Just added your blog to my list...look forward to peeking into your lives! Thanks for blessing us recently with you awesome package!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of your turkey cookies appears to be missing a head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot Jess, as if I didn't have enough doubts about the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah,now I know, Alina had started eating it, so not my fault!

    ReplyDelete