We are doing some Advent activities and really stressing the waiting and patience aspect. As we do activities which anticipate Christmas, I remind her of the promise God made to send a Messiah, but how the Jews had to wait a long time. We are also stressing how God always keeps His promises, as He did by sending Jesus. Today I took her to Chick-Fil-A to keep my promise of letting her play on the playground, since last week we took our food to go. Even at her young age, she seems to be grasping some of these important concepts.
On Sunday, we decorated our Christmas tree. Alina was so excited, she didn't want to leave it at bed time, but I promised her it would be there in the morning, and boy was she excited to see it the next day. After attending a church potluck on Sunday, we made hot chocolate, turned on Christmas music and decorated the tree. Nathanael went to bed on time, but Alina got to stay up and help finish the tree.
Dancing to "shaggy brown" (its actually a Sufjan Stevens song, I think called "The Friendly Beasts" but its just "shaggy brown" at our house, its a really cute song especially for kids). This is their special song. Yes, that is Macy in the background, I think the flash makes her look like a monster or something.
Our activity on Monday was to make gingerbread cookies. I think my icing skills have improved, don't you? Its probably the royal icing, its much easier to work with and only doing outlines.
The Advent calendar "we" made. Many of our crafts start out together, but Alina sometimes gets bored, especially since this one was several steps. I wrote activities inside each door for us to do each day. Unfortunately, I don't remember what I wrote which day, so I will be surprised too! I do know I planned things that I thought could be appropriate for that day, and nothing too overwhelming.
We miss you guys
ReplyDelete