1) The Denver Broncos - I like them, I always like rooting for the underdogs, and last year was just that. It was fun to watch Tebow and the mania that surrounded last season. As sad as I am about Tebow being traded, Justin has convinced me that Manning is a good thing. I always liked Petyon Manning, but I really didn't want to see Tebow go, I had grown quite fond of him. I will always be a Cowboys fan first, but I can happily root for the Broncos with my Colorado neighbors:)
2) Utah - It may seem strange to say that one of my favorite things about Colorado would be Utah. But we are only 25 miles from the border with Utah and they have some amazing national/state parks (or course so do we, anyway). We have explored Goblin Valley (click here for details) and are anxious to get to travel to Arches, Canyonlands, etc. as we have more time this summer. Check out the pictures below.
3) Grand Mesa - I love the Mesa. It is about an hour drive to the top of the Mesa and it is just amazing. Its about 10000 ft in elevation and its absolutely beautiful. Especially in the fall, there are the most amazing colors! There is even "Color Sunday" a day in October that is so beautiful you have to have a trip to go see it. (here is a post about that from last year)
4) Downtown Grand Junction - Even though we live in a fairly small town, the downtown is very nice. Its great for walking around and has some nice restaurants. Its a great place to go on a date or hang out with friends. This is definitely a walking town, and we love being so close to everything!
5) Clothing - This one may seem odd, especially since I mentioned in my South Carolina post that I love the cute way that people get all dressed up in the South. That is nice and all for some occasions, but I like the causal, outdoor style of people here in Colorado. Its laid back without a lot of pretense. For a person who lacks a lot of "style," I appreciate that. At the same time I did miss Easter morning at LPC with all the beautiful dresses, seersucker, etc.
6) Palisade - This small town is on the Eastern side of the Grand Valley and it is beautiful! It has tons of wineries and fields of green rolling into the side of the Mesa. They also have a beautiful Olde Fashion Christmas in downtown Palisade.
7) The Bookcliffs - These mountains line the northern border of the Grand Valley. They are visible from pretty much any part of town or the Valley. I love it when it snows on the Bookcliffs. This is what it looks like. The top is usually not covered in snow, but the rest is. Amazing!
8) Fruita - This is the small town on the opposite side of Palisade. Its on the Western side of the Grand Valley. Fruita has a great view of a the Mesa, Bookcliffs and the Monument, but its just stretches of farmland covered by a big, beautiful, blue sky! Have I mentioned how much I love the sky out here? I love that you can just see forever! Maybe it should have been one of the items on my list? We'll just count it in here with Fruita, since it has the most amazing view of the sky. That's one thing I really missed in SC. The trees were always blocking the sky.
9) Colorado National Monument - In a ten minute drive from our house you can be entering this! Yes, folks this! Amazing huh? Its a beautiful area full of trails to hike. We can go there for day hikes, or just an afternoon with the kids. (here's a post about such an afternoon hike)
10) Powderhorn Ski Area - Save the best for last? Maybe, but its hard to argue for any of these things, because I love them all. It takes 45 minutes from our house to the parking lot of Powderhorn. Jealous? You should be. As great as the South Carolina beaches are, I've never had much of a beach body (ok none at all) so covering up in three layers makes me much more comfortable. Besides, I had come to Colorado skiing all through my high school years and I just love skiing! Justin had a season pass this year and I'm saving birthday and Christmas money (hint, hint) to get my own skis and a season pass. I went once last season and can't wait to get to go next year.
Have I convinced you that this place is amazing? No wonder people from Grand Junction either never leave, come back or wish they could move back. So anytime you want to really enjoy the great outdoors, summer, winter, fall or spring, come see us!










Downtown Grand Junction looks beautiful. I think I would LOVE to live there:)Thanks for sharing this post with us!
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are doing the Couch to 5k again. I have to say, I do miss my running buddy:(
We WILL visit, but when? I can't decide which season I'd most like to see. It's gorgeous out there for sure!
ReplyDeleteits great year-round, come now:)
Delete