Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So what if we aren't Irish?

Its seems that I have "celebrated" way more holidays than ever since I've started staying home. Why not? It sure makes our activities more fun, and it gives us excuses to bake and eat fun stuff. Last week we celebrated St. Patrick's Day, or the Green Holiday as Alina mostly calls it. Although, she also refers to it as Patrick's Day (which I'm pretty sure just means Patrick Michaud, since I told her it was his special holiday and we sent him a special card and all:) Anyway, here are some of the fun things we did.

Made shamrock paintings with hand prints. Nathanael prefers abstract art as you can probably tell. Did you know St. Patrick supposedly used the shamrock to explain the Trinity to the Irish?
Alina's leprechaun craft. She insisted that the rainbow must have pink in it. And yes, that is a leprechaun in the middle of the picture. I did explain that although St. Patrick was a real person, leprechauns are just pretend. We played a fun game where she basically was a leprechaun on a scavenger hunt to find the "gold" in our house.

And of course a green bath. I have to thank my friend Cortney for telling me about adding food coloring to the bath tub. This can cover so many holidays and the kids think its so much fun. And they don't end up green:)
Our window decals
For food we had corned beef with cabbage, potatoes and carrots. It was surprisingly good. I used the leftovers to make corned beef hash (which only I ate) and on Saturday morning we had green pancakes! It was a lot of fun. And it was good to know we were celebrating a man who spread Christianity to Ireland (and was himself English, kind of funny huh?) not just a bunch of drinking and good luck stuff. This week we are doing some spring activities and then look forward to celebrating Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment