Friday, January 13, 2012

Stop the friendly-fire: My critique of the Tebow critics

Disclaimer: I'm not a theologian, football player or writer and I usually just blog about my kids. But...

In the past few days I've read a bunch of articles and blog-posts about Tebow. Some love him, some hate him, some like him but wish he would do something different. Its the last bunch that I want to address. Christians who just aren't satisfied with Tebow's Christianity. Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of the criticisms. I also don't like the Tebow-crazed evangelism that claims passing for 316 yards is some sort of sign. But I think if someone read John 3:16 because of it, God used it for good! Maybe they kept reading John's Gospel... Maybe they even asked some questions... But there were more things I didn't like. I've read things saying that he should just be a better theologian. That he's leading people into a prosperity-gospel and he could just do more about it. That he should "Tebow" after every single play, good or bad. And so on.

I used to hate Tebow. Well, as much as I "hate" football rivals. I seriously dislike Florida and standing out in the freezing cold until the last seconds of the game to watch Tebow stomp on my husband's and many friends' team (South Carolina) didn't help the situation. But moving to Colorado this fall, and watching Tebow help the Bronco's win in the fourth quarter, well I couldn't help it. His interview after the Jets game gave me goosebumps. I mean, Michael Irvin was moved?! I like to see the "underdog" win. I am the girl who in middle school started buying Notre Dame shirts, put up Notre Dame posters in my room and insisted that's where I was going to college for about three years, all after watching Rudy. So yes, I like Tebow and I root for the Broncos (unless they play the Cowboys, because my husband would forbid it)

Here's my reply: In an industry that is plagued by selfishness and immorality we have a young man who is proclaiming to millions of viewers the name of Christ every week and I say God bless it! Could he be a better theologian? Yes, but could you be a better football player? Could he correct the media? Perhaps, but are you correcting every misconception people have about you? Should he thank God after every single play, good or bad? Maybe, but did you thank God for spilling your coffee today? Bottom line - lets not jump all over one of our own but use this opportunity to spread the gospel. Then if someone seems to be in doctrinal error because of something Tim Tebow said or did, well lovingly correct them and thank God for the opportunity. I'm sure Tebow gets enough fire from the enemy, lets not add fuel to stoke that fire. People who don't claim Christ are standing up for Tebow, shouldn't we?

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Raluca! I don't watch NFL football, but I am a fan of Tim Tebow. I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I even liked him when he was at Florida and couldn't help but wish that we had him on our team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! Also, are we so prideful to think all of our doctrine is flawless. Let's be real, we won't have it all figured out this side of glory. Not to mention, God will still be all knowing and we won't ever be.

    ReplyDelete